Southern Hills United Methodist Music Director Job Description
Southern Hills United Methodist Church believes music is an opportunity for its members to worship and praise God. We desire our music to encourage our worshippers and engage them with the presence of God. Currently, we have a “blended” music style. We utilize a wide range of music, including both traditional elements, such as the organ, choirs, and hymns and contemporary elements such as praise songs and other instruments.
The essential purpose of the music director is to lead the music ministry in consultation with the Pastor, Worship Committee, the Choir, and other persons involved in the music ministry in a way that is consistent with our mission, values, and theology.
This position reports to the Pastor.
- Select and plan music for Sunday services in consultation with the Pastor, Worship Committee, the Choir and others involved in music ministry.
- Provide musical accompaniment for Sunday services (services are typically 10:30 – 11:30 am).
- Develop and direct Choir practice and presentation for Choir season (typically September – early June; typically one evening per week for one hour)
- Provide/plan for special music during non-Choir season (typically summer months)
- Lead music ministry for children during our summer program.
- Provide musical accompaniment and leadership for special services (i.e., Christmas Eve, Ash Wednesday, Maundy Thursday),
- Maintain a strong prayer base for the music ministry.
- Communicate faithfully with the Pastor, Worship Committee, and Choir
- Participate in the life and ministry of the church.
- Maintain musical instruments.
Spiritual Gifts and Qualifications
- This leader must be a growing Christian with a desire to serve God through the ministry of music.
- This leader will show passion for communicating a clear message through music.
- This leader will demonstrate ability to listen carefully and communicate effectively with all people, regardless of age, gender, racial/ethnic background, socioeconomic status, disability, or other factors.
- This leader will possess organizational skills to effectively manage time, organize, coordinate, and motivate musicians.
- This person will have a positive attitude, eagerness to learn new skills, and team-oriented work ethic.
- Attested musical skills and competence.
- Love and respect for people.
- Strong team player with the rest of the staff and congregation.
- Committed to the church's vision, leadership, and people.
- Dependable, responsible, self-motivated and creative.
- Piano accompaniment experience (organ optional)
- Ability in wide range of styles including Christian classics (hymns) and contemporary music.
- Ability to lead music in worship.
- Ability to select music and direct choir presentations.
This position pays $10,000 annually, with 2 weeks of vacation.
If interested please contact Nancy at 937-477-0921 or nancyenright [at] dira-partners.com