POSITION TITLE: Director of Youth Ministry
The Director of Youth Ministry is responsible for leading and coordinating students grades 6th through 12th. This position reports to the Lead Pastor.
HOURS: Part-Time. (15 hours per week) at $15/hr. = $11,700
Contact the Church Office if you are interested at 937-433-1636
Lead Pastor: Rev. Jerry Wiles
The position is open now until filled.
· Lead and develop the growth of the youths’ Christian faith through :
WEEKLY LARGE GROUP GATHERINGS
Biblical Teaching: Weekly large group gatherings around family, friends, discipleship, prayer, servant hood, social pressures, suicide, sexuality, and time management, leading service projects, retreats and mission trips, and coordinating the Sunday School program for grades 6-12.
Worship: Encourage regular attendance and involvement of youth in worship.
RELATIONSHIP BUILDING: In addition to weekly meetings, take time to invest time building relationships with the youth in non-church activities. (Ex. Attend sports and musical events of youth, meet with youth and their families in public activities, etc.
DISCIPLESHIP/ SMALL GROUPS
Inspire and teach the youth and other adult leaders to lead spiritually and organizationally by using mentoring and discipleship skills. Allowing mentored leaders to fail and learn by their mistakes without significantly impacting the entire group.
Lead, implement, and develop regular serving opportunities for students at Normandy, locally in Centerville/ Greater Dayton, and mission trips.
Lead connecting events, outings, and gatherings for students to be a part of and invite their friends and strengthen relationships in the ministry.
• Adhere to the Safe Sanctuary Policy of NUMC.
· Plan and lead events, large group gatherings, serving opportunities, and overall programming to achieve annual goals.
· Provide program reports / financial reports to Lead Pastor and Treasurer as needed.
· Coordinate funding sources and programs to supplement support from the church’s general funds. One
goal is to ensure that youth are not denied the ability to participate because of financial circumstances.
· Meet regularly with adult leaders to provide training and resources for the adult leaders to use.
· Encourage active participation and to be sure the group is following the Mission & Vision of Normandy UMC.
· Lead Youth Council meetings; attend Staff meetings, and Christian Development Team meetings.
· Provide up to date programming, event, and basic youth ministry information for the bulletin, church newsletter, parents, church staff, community, social media, and for students.
· Spiritually well founded in Christian beliefs.
· College degree and/or 4 years’ experience in Youth ministry or working towards a 4 year college degree.
· Competent with personal computers and the Internet
· Able to relate well with youth and adult leaders.
· Ability to lead and mentor adult and student leaders.
· Organizational and team building skills with a strong ability to recruit and develop leaders.
· Able to set goals; report on these goals, and to achieve goals.
A TEAMWORK style of ministry is vitally important to the success of leading at Normandy UMC. A team player will enthusiastically participate in cooperative planning and implementation of programs and general ministry activities. This includes regular attendance at staff meetings and sharing in the teaching ministry of the church as needed. Be supportive of the Lead Pastor and Staff in their conversations at all times.