Director of Children and Family Ministries - Urbana UMC REPORTS TO: Lead Pastor COORDINATES WITH: Lead Pastor, Church Staff, Children and Family Ministry Team
Purpose: The Director of Family Ministries will create and implement a family ministry program that offers a relevant, safe, fun environment for children, youth, and families to grow in their faith in Jesus Christ. The Director of Family Ministries will recruit, equip, and guide a ministry team of staff and volunteers in providing high quality discipleship, outreach, spiritual formation, leadership development, worship, and mission opportunities for children, youth, and their families. This includes all children, Nursery through high school graduation. The Director of Family Ministries will work with the church leadership and staff to develop a family ministry program that reflects our mission and values.
• Recruit, equip and lead adult volunteers to help lead the children, youth, and family ministry programs of the church. Recognize teachers and volunteers for all of their efforts.(Teacher Appreciation Day, etc.)
• Visioning and modeling Family Ministry that aligns with the vision and values of UUMC and proven best practices in family ministry.
• The Family Ministry Team should meet on a regular basis for inspiration, support and planning.
• Supervise youth and children’s ministry assistants, nursery staff, and children and youth ministry volunteers.
• Identify, foster, and develop leadership within the youth group
• Represent Family Ministries as a part of the church staff and in other areas of the church and community.
• Oversee and manage the children, youth, and family ministries programs.
• Develop new programs and seek to find ways to grow these programs, the connections between participants and their faith development.
• Equip families with resources and education to help them become actively and intentionally involved in the spiritual formation and discipleship of their families.
• Promote service and outreach through age-appropriate service projects.
• Work closely with Vacation Bible School directors, oversee and assist, as needed.
• Lead a team of adult leaders to empower, teach and resource them to lead individual small groups throughout the year.
• Organize weekly/biweekly small groups based off age and interest.
• Develop a meaningful Sunday School experience that challenges students to grow, connect and serve.
• Plan an annual week long, local mission opportunity such as Week of Hope.
• Plan and oversee a global mission trip every 4 years at minimum.
• Manage communication with children, youth, families, and the congregation using the various communication tools available.
• Coordinate schedules and volunteers. Screen and ensure volunteers follow Safe Sanctuary protocols.
• Inventories, purchases and stores consumable supply items (glue,
• Be committed to developing your skills as Director of Children and Family Ministries by attending up to two continuing education events per year and staying up to date on trends or issues facing Family Ministry.
• Plan a yearly calendar and focus on key events at appropriate times.
• Provide a weekly statement of the number of children attending classes to office manager
• Welcome visitors and contact families of new children the week after they visit the church to ask about the children's experiences in Sunday School classrooms or other programs.
• Develop and oversee budgets for the children’s, youth, and family ministry programs.
• Manage the children and youth spaces of the church, ensuring they are safe, clean and presentable for shared use.
• Ability to record and produce videos for worship and for the programs of the church.
Necessary Attributes: A mature Christian faith and an ability to think theologically are required, as well as the ability to:
• Relate easily to parents, children, youth and church members.
• Communicate Christian values of acceptance, care, and love.
• Climb stairs and lift approximately 35 pounds
• Adequate education and/or children, youth, family ministries experience preferred.
• Demonstrated ability to manage a team of leaders, be a team player, develop and oversee a budget, and coordinate ministry with the church staff to achieve the mission of the church.
• Evidence of strong leadership and interpersonal skills
• Excellent planning including the ability to multi-task and balance competing priorities as well as demonstrated ability to execute well organized programs and events.
• Effective communication skills with children, youth, and their parents.
• Strong computer and social media skills including, but not be limited to, Microsoft Suite, Google Workspace, and various Social Media Platforms. Knowledge of Google Docs, Word and Excel will be helpful.
The position of Director of Family Ministries is a part time, salaried position and the salary is based upon a projected 30 hours per week. The actual number of hours required during any given week are those needed to fulfill the responsibilities of the position. Furthermore, it is recognized that the schedule may vary at different times of the year. Employment at UUMC provides 2 weeks unpaid vacation, 10 paid holidays per year, and paid maternity leave up to 8 weeks. Health Insurance is not a part of the package.
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references to urbanaumcjobs [at] gmail.com
Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check.